April 18, 2012

Avery's Bucket List

I don't normally make posts like this but today I need to. I came across this story just browsing the news headlines on a few of my favorite sites and once I visited this family's blog, I could not get past their header before I was overcome with tears and such emotion for this little girl and her parents.

Avery, who is currently 5 months old (one months older than Noah) was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) and is not expected to live past the age of two. Her parents are living each day to the fullest with her, crossing off items from an ever-growing "bucket list" for their daughter a.k.a. the blog linked below (it's written from Avery's point of view.) I don't know if they realize where their strength in coming from, but I see God working through this family and their journey as they help create awareness for SMA - a disease I myself was not aware of until today. Whether they are followers of Christ or not, they are the purest examples of how when things we know about this life seem to fail, there is a much higher purpose, a higher calling, that can be grasped. They are choosing life!

As I continue to grow as a mom, I know many things will come my way that will test my patience and test my strength on this journey with Noah, but I don't ever want to forget how he came to us and I don't ever want to take one moment for granted. It's unfortunate that there will probably be many "Avery's" that come along over the years to remind me of this but I want to always look at my son with fresh, loving eyes as every second does count.

I pray that Avery's family and the world sees how beautiful this little girl's life is in the eyes of God. All of our days are numbered in some form or fashion. If creating a bucket list is what it takes for some of us to really live, then I'm all for it!

Avery's Bucket List

No comments:

Post a Comment