July 15, 2012

What To Expect When You're "Not" Expecting

My friend Sarah and I escaped from kids and home the other night to have some much needed girl time. We stole away to the $1 theatre to see the film What to Expect When You're Expecting - a movie I'd tagged as a must-see but hadn't had the opportunity until now. (Saved us a few dollars by waiting, I suppose.) It's a modge podge of big name and upcoming actors but there's something about an ensemble movie that I love and how the plot finds ways to interconnect each character.

I hope it's not too much of a spoiler below but films like this are pretty easy to predict anyhow.

So guess which part I cried at? No, not just cried. Pretty much bawled. And I HATE crying at movies! If I know I'm going to cry, I refuse to see a film in the theatre and I'll wait and watch it by myself.

Not the scene where a couple finds out they're pregnant after years of trying....
Not the scene where a character experiences a miscarriage....
Not any of the birth scenes....

Obviously, the adoption scene! How could I not!? Which is odd because I didn't even cry at our own placement with Noah. It was done so tenderly and sweetly and I loved everything about the build up of this couple's journey to Ethiopia and that moment when they hold their son in their arms. I'm such a sap but adoption is in my blood now and I will thankfully never look at the Hollywood version the same way again!


No comments:

Post a Comment