August 22, 2012

Not the Cook!

Anyone remember the 1990's sitcom Dinosaurs? You know, with actors actually wearing a dino costume that you either thought were cool or just plain creepy? It was Dad, Mom, a teenage brother and sister and then...the baby. Baby Sinclair's iconic line (if you can quote it) was....NOT THE MAMA!

Just go YouTube the show to see if you can get the joke. It still brings a hint of a smile to my face.





















As Noah continues to grow, healthy and strong I might add, it's been weighing on me heavily about how important it is that I not become lazy and forget that there are so many things he needs to still learn. Especially when it come to food and eating. I have to remind myself that he can't eat from a bottle forever. I get my weekly emails from all these baby websites about what the average baby should or shouldn't be doing at his/her particular age. Obviously it's a guideline because "every baby is different". And obviously helping your little guy with his eating habits is a big topic that generally overwhelms me.

The idea of Noah needing to learn to eat other food items has been very daunting to me because I have never put myself and the husband on a strict food regime. Meaning, we eat when we get hungry so it's never the same schedule and if I didn't have something in mind to make for a meal, we just grab whatever is lying around. Plus we are the absolute worst when it comes to eating breakfast...which is mostly non-existent.

We can't do that anymore with a baby.

As a new stay-at-home-mom, I picture the ideal scenario in which we wake up as a family and have a filling breakfast and when the husband comes home we're ready with dinner on the table. Lunch just happens somewhere in there with me and Noah. My mom did it day in and day out and honest to God, I don't know how she did it. I AM NOT A COOK - in fact, I do not enjoy cooking. I bake....which isn't the same. The husband (when he gets the urge) can cook up a storm and invent everything from scratch. He probably should have gone to culinary school. I need a recipe. In fact that's one reason why I adore Pinterest because it's now my #1 go-to spot for recipes.

So just being honest, I'm trying hard to keep my anxiety to a minimum regarding the changes that are going to come, because of all the changes we needed to make as a family with the introduction of a child, this was always a big one. I'm surprisingly not concerned about him being a picky eater, it's more to the fact that he's eating the right things and discovering new foods at a good pace and us beginning to incorporate that into one big family meal.

I don't know why but every time it comes up my mind is screaming "NOT THE COOK! NOT THE COOK!" Only Noah's allowed to throw the tantrums now.

(Baby Sinclair Trivia: If you do go watch a video, can you guess who voices the baby? He currently voices a certain red, furry character that is internationally loved by kids. Makes you do a double take that's for sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment