March 1, 2013

2975 Bottles of Milk on the Wall

I have been washing bottles for 425 days straight (give or take a couple of days). Therefore, I averaged about washing 7 bottles a day since we first brought Noah home. Some days more, some days less depending on the size of the bottle.

I'm not talking about mechanically washing them either...hand washing. Yep, you heard me right! Hand washing bottles once, sometimes twice a day. Ok maybe I used the dishwasher a couple of times but I guarantee you I can only count that number on one hand.

Something about hand washing my kiddos' bottles makes me feel like I'm controlling the cleanliness of the number one source of their nourishment. As clean as dishes get in the end, the dish washer results always made the bottles smell odd and they left a funky residue. (Even after trying multiple different "soaps" for the washer.)

After Noah turned one year old, I had high hopes that my plan for weaning him off the bottle would work smoothly and in no time my little guy would be on his way to other toddler things. I was also very much looking forward to dropping the bottle washing part of my evening routine! Then the call about Aaron came. I didn't do much research about introducing a new baby into a family because I have a good source of information in my sister-in-law and with my friends. The whole "don't make any major changes 3 months before baby" wasn't going to fit into my weaning plans.

So here we are into month two with Baby Aaron and Noah is nowhere close to moving away from the bottle. In fact it's the opposite. No matter how full his little tummy is already, when Brother is getting a bottle, Noah REALLY wants that bottle too. I know Noah is still a baby (only 14 months) so his age is a big factor. I'm hoping a couple more months will be enough time for him to move on and be ready for life sans bottle. We'll start slow and probably progress very slowly but one day he will make the big leap.

Then in the very distant future Aaron's turn will come and maybe, just maybe, I'll be free of Dr. Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment