March 29, 2013

Roly Polies and Dandelions

Watching my kids grow there are hundreds of every day things that at any given moment can stir up one or several of my own childhood memories. That's part of why I always looked forward to being a mom - to share the same experiences, big or small, with my kids.

As much as I make fun of my husband when it comes to saying everything is a "family tradition" (I.e. Swimming at a Best Western, going out for ice cream, brushing our teeth, etc.), there are certain things that I quietly enjoy when it comes to watching my oldest discover something that has some modicum of nostalgia for me from my "traditions".

For example, Noah and I have been discovering dandelions these last few months. We cannot go into the backyard without first casing the area for those special fluffy balls of white. Noah has tried everything from eating them to throwing them around and currently he's working on his blowing skills. While dandelions don't hold a strong place in my memories, it's mostly special because of the joy we receive in watching him learn and experiment.

Yesterday we observed our very first roly poly (aka pill bug). As a kid I was obsessed with roly pollies! Yes, I was a tomboy who didn't mind getting down and dirty outside and I could definitely keep up with any BOY (said in my best 10-year-old voice with attitude). I made roly poly homes and liked to watch them curl up and slowly stretch open when the coast was clear. And then I regrettably had a mean streak (don't judge) where I would upset an ant hill and then feed them roly pollies. (Just being honest here.)
So these little bugs hold a significant blip on my childhood memories. To this day I'll causally watch a roly poly if I happen to notice one and I will always avoid stepping on them.

Noah and I shared a special moment with our first roly poly. Mostly I was trying to keep him from squishing it or eating it without him having a mini-tantrum because then for sure our roly poly would have met an untimely end. But he was intrigued and focused on this little bug that held his Mommy's attention.

I love that I'm a woman who does not mind bugs or dirt or sports or the occasional germ, what have you...I hope that the reason why is so that I have years of fun and adventure to look forward to with my boys.

And that they won't mind it.



No comments:

Post a Comment