August 23, 2013

Aaron's Big Day

Every day is a gift from God. Even the mundane, can't-wait-until-bedtime days when life feels repetitive and all-around, not very special. Sometimes it takes a significant event to remind me of just that.

Friday morning (last week), I stood in the shower mentally prepping myself for the day's events - Aaron's finalization day. Amazing to think that only 14 months ago we stood in the same courthouse to legalize Noah's adoption and now here we were preparing to do the same with Aaron. Not only was it Aaron's special day, but it was the Lord's. I felt God showing me as clear as day that this day had been orchestrated from the beginning. The beginning of our marriage, from the day I was born, to when the world was formed. God knew that Aaron would be gifted to us and that on Friday, August 16th he would officially become a part of our family. How could we not take this day to honor Him?!

The road to becoming a sudden mom of two boys has not been easy but now that we're here at this step in our lives, it feels like I'm seeing the future years together as a family opening up. All the dreams and desires and plans I/we had for a family are coming to fruition. During our New Mexico trip I even mentioned it to the husband that I couldn't believe we were on a road trip with our boys - OUR BOYS! - safely strapped and sleeping in the back. For years I had imagined what it would be like to be in that moment with my husband and our children. I felt like I needed to pinch myself.

So the day finally arrived last week for Aaron's adoption to be finalized and legal. Same courthouse, same waiting room, same courtroom, same lawyer. I remember with Noah how anxious and nervous I was, mostly regarding the unknown of how the day would proceed. My hands even shook as we were sworn in. This time around felt more like a homecoming or a reunion of sorts. We knew how it would be. We weren't shy about taking a hundred photos or the kids being loud in the waiting area. It really felt like a celebration!

Thankfully there were only six adoptions that day and we were the fourth family called. Both sets of grandparents and my brother with his whole family attended and stood before the judge. (We had hoped for Noah's judge but that ended up not being the case.) It was all said and done within minutes and we were on to lunch! All the kids were able to choose a special stuffed animal to take home to commemorate the day. I was told later that my nephews had so much fun they were asking when we could do it all again. Uh....not anytime soon! Haha!

We were also blessed that our caseworker was able to attend since she had missed Noah's finalization due to work. I know she jokes about how we're probably not going to want to answer any more of her phone calls this year (since she called us on Noah's 1st birthday to tell us about Aaron). Who knows what's in store but I think a break is in order.

To round out the weekend, in true fashion, we threw Aaron his adoption pool party the following day with family and plenty of friends. The star of the party spent most of it sitting in random people's laps and just soaking in all the craziness that he'll learn to be a part of some day.

Now, a week later, we're back to normalcy. No more weddings or adoptions...just a few papers and letters to finish up over the next several months. Easy stuff.

I am so thankful to God for my boys. Even now, Aaron is sleeping in my arms as I write this on my phone and I know the time will go by fast when he's not a baby anymore and he'll be mobile and trying to keep up with his big brother. We'll have different challenges by then so until that time, I'll take all the smuggling I can get.


At the courthouse

Brother kisses!

The whole crew with the judge

Aaron and his gorilla
Getting ready for a pool party!


No comments:

Post a Comment