September 21, 2012

A Honey Badger Kind of Day

After months of consideration and a whole lot of dread, I joined a gym. I used to be a member of a certain women's-only gym but was immensely turned off by their hidden stipulations, fees, etc and the manager of the only branch in my location wasn't quite manager-material. So I was reluctant to join. The husband has been a member of this other gym for about a year now so I was able to get added to his account to make it a family plan.

I am a gym class junkie. I LOVE classes! Naturally, I was excited to start my first class today. It was at the perfect time in the morning: not too early and wouldn't conflict with Noah's naptime. 

So of course, everything that could go wrong to deter me from getting out of the house did.

Noah was super clingy this morning so getting dressed and ready was a trial. Then there was the massive dirty diaper (new outfit) and then spit up (new outfit) just as we were ready to head out the door. I was even about to pull away from the house when I realized I was missing Noah's passy (big mistake). I parked, ran in and then we were finally on our way. On top that, allergy-season is full blown so I'm using up tissues left and right the whole morning and feeling like my head's in a vice.

I needed to get to the gym early to sign Noah into the childcare for the first time and also get my name on the list for class in case it filled up. I felt so accomplished and determined that I hadn't given up and made it out of the house! We even pulled up to the gym with still enough time to get settled....when the husband called.

The alarm was going off at the house. 

I knew immediately I had set it off. Remember the missing passy? Yeah, I thought I had enough time left to run in and out without resetting the alarm. Nope.

Obviously, the alarm company can't just turn it off remotely without having some verify an "all clear". So I ranted off a few choice words because of the situation and headed back home defeated. Two cop cars were already waiting at the house. We went in and checked out the house, all the while I was explaining this was my fault. They said, "No problem. Happens all the time," and went about their day.

Well with Noah in the car and time to waste - since I was not going to go through all of that just to stay back at home - we headed to the park. Even that goal was diverted when my gas light came on but we finally made it. We played for about 10 minutes because let's face it, being at the park with a 9-month-old by yourself is boring.

Let's hope our next attempt to the gym is a better one.


P.S. - If you're wondering why I didn't just go back to work out with the equipment anyhow...to be honest, I'm not that motivated. That's why a class forces me to kick my butt for 60 minutes. 

P.P.S. - If you're wondering what a "Honey Badger Kind of Day" means, feel free to watch this. Mainly referring to what a honey badger doesn't give.

No comments:

Post a Comment