November 7, 2012

Blankie Boy

I haven't spoken much about our family's sleep habits mostly because I didn't want to jinx it. So many friends on Facebook with babies younger/older than Noah have been quick to brag announce when their munchkin slept through the night...usually A LOT younger than Noah...only to come back not long after for advice on how to get their kiddo back on an all-night schedule. I won't lie - I kind of chuckle on the inside any time that happens.

In the world of parenting it seems that the subject of how you get your child to sleep is an area prone to much criticism. It's unnecessary to say the least and perhaps another reason why I've never talked publicly about how we do nap/bedtime with Noah.

Noah first slept through the night at 7 months. It was actually the night before the husband and I's 7th anniversary. I wasn't the typical mom who woke up freaking out over whether he was breathing or not although I do remember waking at one point, checking my clock and being surprised but very happy to fall back to sleep.

Since then, it's still hit or miss with Noah. Most nights he makes it and on the occasion he'll have one or two nights where he wakes around midnight and if we're lucky can rock him back to sleep without a small watered-down bottle. He's down in his crib by 8:00pm and usually up on the dot at 7:30am. However with the recent time change, we've been a little off schedule but finally today feels as is we're back on track (took us 4 days). I'm proud of him as well that at nighttime we're able to set him in the crib and with a little help from some music and his sound machine he'll go to sleep on his own. Nap times...not so much. We're strict with the bedtime routine and he sleeps in footie pajamas so perhaps all of that mixed with the fact that it's dark outside is why nighttime is much easier on us.

Napping is a whole other story. For a while I was desperate because my little turkey would only sleep for 30 minutes at a time. Thankfully we've moved on from that phase and he'll take a great 1.5-2 hour nap in the mornings. Afternoon is hit or miss as long as he dozes at some point.

But my favorite part of all of this...Noah is a blankie boy. We have a set of the Aden & Anais swaddling blankets and he loves them. When you give him one, he'll bury his head into it and treats us to some snuggling and sweet talk. I try to keep the blankets out of sight except for when it's sleepy time or sometimes in the car, but he loves those things and recently has taken to dragging them around the house. I have four blankets and may look into buying an additional set because Noah knows which drawer I keep them in his room. Haha! We always 2-3 blankets to wash.

Love my blankie boy!

Sprawled out for nap time
Noah and his blankie looking out the window

No comments:

Post a Comment