December 19, 2012

It's Noah's Birthday!!!

We made it! My sweet boy is one year old today!

It's an odd feeling to be the mother of a one-year-old. Before I became a mom, I watched so many other babies turn one and it seemed like over night the babies were magically "big kids". Perhaps because I wasn't there day in and day out to know that they're really not. Noah is the same as yesterday: same schedule, same tantrums, same playfulness and same cuddliness. He'll be that way for a while - pretty sure about that - with slight changes along the way. For some reason though I feel proud telling others that he is one (when they ask)!

We had a small celebration on Sunday with family at our house. Leading up to the party, I was elated to be able to have my kid's birthday at our home...something I've always dreamed of and pictured as part of being a mom. So to realize that dream was more than I can ask. However, I let my stress of planning get the best of me; so note to self, breathe and take it easy next year. I can honestly tell you that planning a corporate event (I used to be a Sr. Executive Assistant) is much much easier than planning your kids birthday party. That's not to say it wasn't fun!

We went with a Curious George theme (one of Noah's favorite cartoons) and I had a blast with the color scheme and decorating. The only actual George item was a stuffed animal we bought for Noah and the Curious George birthday book which we had everyone sign. My favorite part was building a yellow kite (poster board and sticks) that hung over Noah's high chair. Flowing away from the kite was red streamer that led all the way to the front door. So as the guests came in they were at the tail of the kite that held photos of Noah from every month leading up to the highchair where our 12-month-old would be! It's still up today for his real birthday and to be honest I'm having a hard time wanting to take it down.

My friend bakes cakes on the side, so she made Noah's smash cake - The Man in the Yellow Hat's hat. She did an amazing job! We opened presents (books, cars, clothes, an activity cube and a stick horse) then sang Happy Birthday and after the husband and I blew out his candle, let Noah have it with the cake. He started off tentatively touching it and tasting his finger then face-planted into the side. After 2-3 minutes he had successfully removed the top layer of the cake and crumbled most of it into his lap. He did not disappoint!




For his birthday today, I made sure we did all of his favorite things which mostly consisted of playing outside and going to the playground. We picked up barbeque from a local joint and made it home just in time for the husband to get some playtime in before bath and bed.

So what's next? It's a relief in a way to know that I can stop counting the months and taking pictures with those numbers but obviously we'll still take photos along the way. I'm looking forward to Noah still saying his first real word and hopefully in the coming months, enrolling him at a Mom's Day Out program. He loves watching other kids play and it's certainly important that he gets some social time with other babies his age.

As for the other gradual changes that have to take place like weaning off the bottle and passy, etc...I'm willing to take my time on it even though he's a year now. I think I'll at least wait until the new year.




No comments:

Post a Comment