May 27, 2013

Brace Yourself

Fact: I am a mom.
Fact: I am 31 years old.
Fact: I have braces.

Yes, I made the orthodontic plunge. While most people bare a metal grin in their teen years, I have the pleasure of starting mine....well, now.

If you know me, I was graced with a very prominent gap smack dab in the middle of my upper teeth. No misaligned teeth or crooked smile, just a gap. I remember inquiring of my childhood dentist once about getting braces but he just looked at me baffled and said my teeth were fine. And they are for the most part.

However for the longest time, I've wanted to close this gap. A gap that my close friends call "cute" and tell me that I wouldn't be me without it. There are always things about ourselves that we're not going to like that no one else sees or notices. I can't help but always notice mine.

As a teenager (and my mom can attest to this) I perfected my smile for photos. I'd practice in front of the mirror and memorize the muscle placement and the way it felt. It wasn't just because I wanted to be able to have a nice, natural looking "fake" smile after all those awkward pre-teen years; it was also a ruse to hide my gap. I was able to figure out a way to place my bottom teeth behind the front to help blend my teeth seemlessly. It worked too!

I didn't seriously begin to consider braces to close it until a few years ago. I went as far as to get a consultation but backed out for two reasons. 1.) I hate anything having to do with stuff being done to my mouth (ie. the dentist has always made me sick with claustrophobia, gagging and terrible tastes). And 2.) The place I visited was minutes from my job at the time but a long drive from home. My job was in upheaval and I didn't want to get stuck driving forever to a 20-minute appointment if I was no longer going to work there.

That was 4-5 years ago. I think to myself now that if I had just done it then, I'd be finished and it'd be all said and done. But I didn't so here I am today. I set up a consultation at a place near my in-laws (the best babysitters to date) and went in for a look at my options. After an hour of x-rays, pictures and discussions on procedures and payment plans they looked at me and said "we can do it now if you want."

Huh? What? Now? Err....

Apparently they set up their office for cases like this. Folks who take off from work or people who set up babysitting just to do a free consult....since there's extra staff and the client already has the free time why not get started today! It's a great sale actually. And it worked perfectly on me and gladly for me because if I had left I can honestly say it would have been months before I got the courage to call them back.

One hour later, my mouth was fitted with braces and I was off on my merry way. I have an 18-24 sentence with these binding brackets with visits only 12 weeks apart. One way or another we're making progress!

I'm not sure yet what closing my gap will mean to me. Right now, I feel as if I really needed to do something for myself to make me feel better about myself since the life of a mom is more self-sacrificing than people give it credit. Given the years I've pined over the thought of it (even talking about veneers with my dentist), I don't feel it a rash decision regardless of jumping into treatment the same day I meet my orthodontist.

The husband didn't even know about it until he came home from work and saw me smile. He was very happy and proud of me for doing it. Noah noticed them for the first time the other day and while I would love for him to touch them to explore mommy's mouth, I'm keeping him little prying fingers at bay.

I'll be excited and nervous in two year's time to show some before and after pics but for now, all you get is to hear me talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment