December 9, 2013

Icemageddon

We live in Texas. 
Six days ago it was 80 degrees.  
Five days ago it turned below freezing with an ice storm blowing in that garnered 4-5 inches of ice...everywhere. 
I have only left my house once in the past four days.

This happens every few years and the city is literally shut down due to the fact that no one can possibly do any good on the road. Northerners make fun; but this is not snow. This is ice! The city does not have full resources to keep up with the demand (and even if we did, it's money spent on something that is a rare occasion). Highways are, at most, passable but it's the neighborhoods that keep folks from leaving their homes. 

To give a small example of the situation, just north of us drivers were stuck on the highway for more than 24 hours. Cars stalled or ran out of gas and with temps dropping and no one here keeping supplies in their vehicles, the stranded were all transported to shelters. Yikes.

I made haste last Wednesday (pre-Icemaggedon) and stocked up on some groceries and supplies for the boys. I'm thankful I didn't wait!

I've never been prone to cabin fever but now that we're on Day 4, being holed up with two kiddos is very straining for my sanity. So to all my friends who don't understand why people feel cooped up when there are so many books to read and movies to watch - you're welcome to borrow my children.

The husband has 4-wheel-drive so he took Noah out to the store at one point (my regular delivery of infant formula did not make it in time) and we got out for breakfast yesterday. But other than that we've sat tight.

We did have a spot of fun yesterday! There's a small, open plot of land that runs between our home and our neighbors with a slight incline that is perfect for sledding. We bundled up, grabbed a few cardboard boxes and had a great time shooting the kids down the hill. Noah was charging down the hill and crashing and burning over and over and loved every minute of it. Aaron even went down a couple of times but we couldn't tell if he was enjoying it or not. 

Roads are still awful today and schools are closed with the husband working from home. I really hope there are some openings tomorrow...I need to get my kids out so I can get stuff done!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying our photos and videos from our Icemaggedon sledding escapades.




No comments:

Post a Comment