July 2, 2014

Swim Lessons

Today marks the completion of the boys' first ever round of swim classes. I debated over putting them in a local swim school that is summer long and teaches a core foundation that has proven successes at the toddler level (a.k.a. the "expensive" lessons). My other option was to choose a nearby rec center, minimal cash out of pocket and a short, two-week session. Both my boys are total water babies, but having never done an actual structured class, I decided to test the waters (pun intended) and see how they liked the rec center version of swim classes.

Overall, it was fun. After the first morning marathon of getting the boys and myself dressed and ready to go in swim gear, plus towels and clothes to change in after, etc., I was ready to call it quits and couldn't quite remember why I wanted to do this in the first place. (Not to mention that it was raining right up until we stepped into the freezing pool.) But we got into a routine and it's been surprisingly worth it. I'm so thankful to my mother-in-law who came out each day as well to swim with Aaron while I tackled Noah. The best part of the class, and why I would recommend it to any parent of babies/toddlers, was that I learned something as well. I'm more confident in how to continue to teach my boys to swim and I feel armed and prepared to go.

Now if someone wanted to pay me to get back in the water. Did I mention how much I dislike pools and swimming? It's a motion thing.

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment