June 29, 2012

Oregon - Day One

I'll start with the positives.

Noah had his first airplane ride today! (One more item off the Life List). Aside from one little over-tired meltdown, he did fairly well. What I love about going out in public with him is seeing how people react to him. SO many people smile and wave and make faces at him. I just love my social baby! The folks around us on the plane were friendly and kept him entertained from afar at times.

It's a 3.5 hour flight from Texas to Oregon so I was stocked on bottles and toys. Changing a diaper in the lavatory was laughable though. If you think you have a hard enough time just using the restroom in those things try changing a baby's diaper.

Daddy and Noah on the plane























Once we arrived in Portland and got on the road, we found the nearest Babies R Us to get Noah's bed, an umbrella stroller and stock up on diapers, wipes, etc. Then first stop - teriyaki! Nothing tastes as a good as a teriyaki bowl in the Northwest. The husband found a local mom and pop place for us to stop (using Yelp of course) and we shared a table with a couple from Tyler, TX who were now retired in Oregon.

We're staying in Hillsboro for two nights which is just West of Portland. Our friends aren't expected to arrive until late tonight so we spent the afternoon relaxing at the hotel and found a quaint cafe for dinner.

As for the not-so-positives...

I can't say it was one thing in particular. Like I mentioned, the "getting there" part of traveling stresses me out, so running on a few hours of sleep and then being corralled through the airports and into a hotel is wearing on me. Plus, as a mom, when Noah has the slightest meltdown I start beating myself up about taking him away from his home and royally screwing up his schedule. It's been an emotional roller coaster and it's only day one. I honestly considered paying the $150 change fee and flying straight back home.

Just need to get some sleep and things should look better in the morning...

Next: Day Two

No comments:

Post a Comment