June 30, 2012

Oregon - Day Two

Oregon Fact: There is no sales tax. On anything. Hello, shopping spree!

I'm sure the locals pay out the wazoo to balance it out but as a visitor, why should I not take advantage of it!

Before Noah came, I had been playing co-ed softball continuously for close to a year. Only negative was I started to develop some heel pain. Once softball subsided, so did the pain. When Noah came along I never realized how much I was not on my feet while I'd been working. So unfortunately with the constant getting around and carrying the "extra load" the pain returned and I've been dealing with an annoying bout of plantar faciatus for weeks now.

Which brings me to the above fact - I've been eying purchasing a pair of Vibrams and woke up this morning thinking now would be the perfect opportunity to do so! They're supposed to be really good for your feet ergo why I've been considering them. Using my handy-dandy smart phone, I found a local shoe store called Gimre's (totally small town sounding, right?) and we headed into "downtown" Hillsboro.

Here is where we had one of the best finds of the trip....Farmer's Market day! The husband and I picked up my shoes and within the hour we were back with our friends in tow. My friend is a total hippie so she loves all the homemade items and everyone flipped over the fresh berries: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries. You name it they had it.

Here is also where we found a grove of humongous trees that were planted in the 1800s! I don't recall what they're called but we managed to get a snapshot of our friends because we don't get trees like this in Texas.


























That was our morning. The goal for the day was an hour or so drive West to make Tillamook and find some cheese or cows or whatever is there! Tillamook cheese is a hard buy in the South (I always buy it in blocks from Sams/Costco) but it's literally that good we couldn't miss out.

I don't have any photos from the journey but we found the Tillamook Cheese Factory and a tasty looking batch of pepperjack was being processed and packaged. The highlight of the place was the ice cream though - obviously!

The day as a whole was mostly foggy and drizzly but it didn't stop us from driving a tad bit further to the coast. We saw Oregon's shortest lighthouse and let's just say the "hike" down was pretty memorable for all of us. Because of the fog we missed the view over the cliff side down to the sea but you could hear the crashing of the waves and smell the sea.

Noah was all bundled in his little rain jacket:


































We drove back to Hillsboro and unfortunately Noah was pretty much done with the car for the day. We had to make a couple of stops to appease his meltdown.

Tomorrow we head south to Eugene!

Next: Day Three

No comments:

Post a Comment