December 16, 2013

A Blue Birthday

I find it odd for a toddler to have a favorite color but lo and behold, mine does: BLUE

I had been brainstorming all year long for a theme for his party; and yes, I honestly admit to the "all year" part. I love throwing parties for my boys! Besides, I only have a few good years where we (the parents) can decide on a theme or party type until they become a little more opinionated. For the longest time I wanted to do Yo Gabba Gabba for his second party but as the months flew by and I've been on the brink of feeling overwhelmed constantly at just life in general, I decided to go easy on myself. I took a page from my nephew's party a couple of years ago and went with a color theme...ergo we picked the color blue.

We kept it small again, just family really and I like it that way for now. My only problem was finding a menu of blue food items to serve as snacks. There were so many unnatural suggestions I found when Googling the idea (i.e. blue mac and cheese, blue mashed potatoes). Pretty sure blue is not the most appetizing of colors so I had to be creative. Our cake was blue and I had some blue candies and blue Koolaid, blue jello and blueberries. Other than that I dip some strawberries in blue chocolate (white chocolate with blue food coloring). The rest consisted of a normal snack selection free from dye. I didn't need to be that overkill with blue foods. However, we did ask all the guests to wear their favorite shade of...you guessed it...blue!

The party was fun and simple. Everyone snacked and then we broke out the cake. Noah is a pro at blowing out candles and equally a pro at smearing icing all over his face. It wasn't as elaborate as his first birthday smash cake but it made for some good pictures.

We moved him right along to presents and only had one short meltdown in the process. I find it hilarious to try and get a toddler to open gifts: you open a present then take it away from him for the next one. Except he doesn't understand why you're taking this new awesome toy away and won't focus on the next gift right in front of him ready to open. Haha! It was all good and in the end everyone was heartily playing with the new toys.

I cannot believe that this week I will officially have a two year old! It boggles my mind really. I think about the kids I used to watch at my first job in a daycare...I hated working the two's class. I avoided it at all costs. Noah's showing signs of the terrible twos but so far we've been able to manage and tiptoe thru the tantrums and confusion. Unlike the babies at the daycare, I'm at least able to find all the good and positive things about this age and everything he is learning and being exposed to for the first time.

There really is a silver lining to the twos.

(Except for next day's diaper after consuming all things blue...)

We told him the bow goes on his head. :)

Blowing out the candles. Yes, I painted even my nails blue!
CAKE!

Daddy helping open the first gift

The "big" gift from Mommy and Daddy

Every kid needs a magna doodle!

No comments:

Post a Comment